Do you know the colour and shape of your nails can reflect a lot about your health? Have you ever noticed that your nail bed might reduce in size if you have bad health? Well, it’s nothing to be surprised about. Most of your visible body parts are a mirror image of the functioning of the entire internal system of the body. But how to take care of these symptoms and prevent any further discoloration of nails or yellow nails. Well, doing such things at home can be cumbersome at the start, but it is essential. You don’t need to wander all over to get all the details since we have got your back with this detailed guide.
What are the Causes of Yellow Nails
Discoloration of nails is only because of some underlying internal diseases. But when it comes to yellow nails, the most common cause is a fungal infection. Some other causes of yellow nails include lymphatic obstruction, diabetes, or thyroid. One of the rarest conditions known as Yellow Nail Syndrome can also be a cause for yellow nails. In a few patients, anemia or jaundice can show some yellowish colour on your nails. If you have consulted a doctor and there is no deficiency in your body, you must rule out the cause of fungal infection.
How to Cure Yellow Nails?
The cure of yellow nails entirely depends on the nature of the cause for the same. Yellowing of nails is presented as one of the symptoms of underlying diseases that include jaundice, anaemia, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, fungal infections, lymphatic obstruction, or yellow nail syndrome. Treatment of the underlying disease will help in resolving the condition of yellow nails.
- If yellow nails are caused by bacterial or fungal infections, using tea tree oil or oregano oil is effective. These oils contain antimicrobial properties. They are effective against bacteria and fungi. These oils are mixed with a carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil, and then apply mixture over the affected nails. Tea tree oil and oregano oil effectively stops the growth of common strains of bacteria and fungus from growing.
- Vitamin E is used for the treatment of yellow nails caused due to yellow nail syndrome. In yellow nail syndrome, the pins show yellowish discolouration and are rigged and thick in appearance. Vitamin E promotes healthy nail growth. You can take vitamin E orally or apply it topically on the affected nails. Taking oral vitamin E supplements helps in faster and healthier nail growth.
- Yellow nails caused by bacteria and fungi can also be treated with oral drugs. People having yellow nails, fungus being the causative factor, are prescribed drugs containing terbinafine or itraconazole. Both of these are antifungal agents. However, their long-term use can cause liver damage. Other side effects of these drugs include abdominal pain and diarrhoea. An alternative to these drugs is ciclopirox, a topical agent used just like nail paints. These drugs promote healthy nail growth, which replaces the yellow nails in a few weeks or months.
- Ideally, you should consult a physician or a dermatologist when you notice yellowish discolouration of your nails. It may be a possible sign of any underlying disease or condition that you might be suffering from and unaware of it.
- Apart from these, you can also use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda to remove yellowish nail discolouration.
How to Prevent Yellow Nails?
Yellow nails can be prevented by following hand and nail hygiene. Be mindful when visiting salons and spas. These are the places that could cause the spread of bacterial and fungal infections from one client to another. Ensure they use clean, dry, and sterilized or at least a new manicure and pedicure kit for every client. Avoid frequent use of nail paint remover on your nails. Use mild removers, the ones without acetone. Maintain personal hygiene. Wear fresh socks, and expose your feet to fresh air frequently to avoid toenail infection. Make sure to regularly trim your nails and keep dirt off from underneath your nails. You should follow nail hygiene habits to prevent nail infections.
Nails are a part of the beauty in every age group. But if you do not take care of your health, the deficiencies and diseases might reflect your nails’ colour. Getting it cured entirely depends upon the treatment of the internal conditions. If you are suffering from anemia or diabetes that is causing your nails to turn yellow, then consulting a specialist on the therapy of such systemic disease can help cure your colour change. A good diet can help you recover sooner without the consumption of a lot of medicines. Always take care to keep your nails clean and hygienic so that there is no chance of a fungal infection.