Constipation is a general health issue faced by several people worldwide. People facing constipation and its symptoms include less frequent bowel movements and difficulty in passing the stool. It could happen due to a lot of reasons which are usually related to changes in food diet. You should also ensure that you are taking in enough fiber to avoid the situation. You should generally have at least three bowel movements in a week and lack, and it causes constipation.
People who face this occasionally should not worry. However, people having an ongoing constipation issue should immediately consult a doctor and avoid any severe condition that might develop. The problem of constipation also gets in the middle of work and hampers everything within our day-to-day life.
What are the major causes of constipation?
It could be caused due to several reasons. Let us see a few of such issues which could lead to the problem of constipation.
- Colon or rectum blockage.
- The colon and rectum nerves might have issues.
- The pelvic muscles might not be in a healthy condition. They might cause problems while having a bowel movement.
- Changes in hormones in the human body. Diseases could cause the hormones to change, leading to constipation.
- The consumption of several medicines, including pain killers and antidepressants.
What are the lifestyle issues that might cause constipation in our bodies?
In most people, constipation is an issue that is usually caused due to the absorption of water in excess amount by the colon. If someone’s metabolism or digesting power is less, the food will take much more time to go through the colon. This provides extra time for absorption of water resulting in the hard stool. It causes uneasiness and discomfort in people.
A few lifestyle and eating habits that cause constipation in the human body are:
- Regular consumption of junk or unhealthy food.
- Consuming less water than required.
- A lesser amount of fiber in the diet or food that you eat.
- Excessive traveling.
- Old age leads to a slower metabolism.
However, constipation could also be caused due to several diseases. These diseases include:
- Intake of medicines without a prescription. The medication might be taken in excessive amounts.
- Disease or prior issues related to bowel movements.
- Avoiding the Bowel movement or leaving it for later.
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
What are the symptoms of constipation?
Maximum people face constipation at least once in their lifetime. It is a prevalent medical issue and should be cured to avoid any illness or discomfort. There are several symptoms through which you could recognize constipation in your body. Some of these symptoms are as mentioned below:
- You might feel pain and discomfort during bowel movements.
- Your stool might suddenly turn hard and dry, causing difficulty while releasing it.
- The uneasy feeling during bowel movements.
- It is also seen that people start losing weight immediately without any reason.
The ones who suffer through it also mention the few other symptoms, which include the following feelings:
- Irritation near the anus region.
- Painful movements.
- Stomach ache
Side effects of constipation in the human body
There are several side effects of constipation that must be taken care of to remain healthy. The issue of constipation usually hampers the eating habits and everyday life of a person. It is essential to cure it immediately, and you must know the complications before solving them.
- Your anus veins could swell up due to force or pressure for bowel movements.
- When you try to give a large or hard stool, it might tear the anus skin.
- If you are facing a chronic constipation issue, the hardened stool might get stuck inside your intestine. This is hard to remove, and that might cause irritation, pain, and uneasiness.
- If you pressure yourself to have a bowel movement, the small bits of the rectum might stretch and protrude out from the anus.
How to avoid constipation issues in our body?
You could employ several treatments and ways to avoid the problem of constipation in your body. And, you may also consider the below-mentioned ways to overcome the constipation issue.
- It would be best if you increased the intake of water and other liquids in your body.
- Start exercising regularly, no matter how light or complex it is.
- Avoid changing your medications periodically and keep up with a specific one if possible.
- Start consuming a healthy diet that includes significant amounts of whole grains, fiber, proteins, and vitamins.
- Include all sorts of fruits in your diet.
You should always consult a professional medical advisor first in case of any minor or significant medical issues. This will allow you to avoid any chances of risks are complications that might occur.
Whenever possible, keep up with the basic ideas like that of drinking water. This might look like a minor habit but could cause severe medical alterations in your body. The discomfort and uneasiness caused due to constipation in our body could last for a few days. Keep exercising and stay fit.