Do you often feel exhausted, even in the middle of the day? Are you always sleepy during your lectures? Does it hurt you to start working in the morning? Well, excessive sleep and fatigue can cause all these problems. But why do you feel tired all the time? Sleepiness and feeling tired all the time can be because of your daily disrupted schedule. Though you might not focus on such things, having a bad daily routine indeed affects your energy level. But here we are with all the possible reasons that can ruin your day to help you avoid any foreseeable circumstances.
The causes of excessive sleep and fatigue
When it comes to a sleepy lethargic morning, there are several reasons behind it. But to help you rule them out and get rid of them, we have chosen the most important ones to list up here.
- Skipping meals: Having just dinner in the morning and then working for long hours without taking anything as a snack will lower down your energy level and make you feel sleepy. Having small portions of snacks or food every two to three hours helps you stay active and avoid sleep during the day.
- Improper Sleep pattern: staying awake till late at night and waking up early in the morning disrupts your usual sleep pattern, and not getting enough sleep can lead to a passive new day. It is a must to get good sound sleep to stay energetic the entire day.
- Vitamin deficiency: Sleepiness and fatigue can be caused by vitamin deficiency. Missing vitamin-rich food in your diet can be a significant cause of such defects. Taking multivitamins after consulting your doctor can help you stay healthy and energetic.
- Depression: A low mood and depressed mind can be a cause of disrupted sleep, causing fatigues and lethargy all day. Depression is often known to reduce the activeness of the brain and thus sleepiness at the time of work.
Should I be concerned about this?
A good night’s sleep is what everyone needs and is necessary for maintaining good health. Feeling exhausted presenting you with excessive sleepiness occasionally leading to excessive sleep for a day or two is normal. But if this feeling of exhaustion keeps on interfering with your daily routine, then surely you will be concerned about it. Bring some changes in your lifestyle and your working schedule, or consult a doctor and get yourself tested for any sleep disorder that you are unaware of.
You may be suffering from a sleeping disorder that has led to hypersomnia (excessive sleep). Excessive sleep impacts your overall sleeping habits and leaves a negative impact on your health, and quality of life. Usually, this disorders are related to cause lack of sleep but disorders like narcolepsy or sleep apnea cause hypersomnia and fatigue. These disorders pose a serious health problem and are many times linked to other medical conditions like diabetes, diseases of the heart, and are sometimes also related to even death.
If you feel that you are having excessive sleep and always feel tired, it is time for you to consult a doctor, and rule out any serious health issues. You should be aware of your sleeping problems whether it is just related to temporary exhaustion or any other serious health issues.
The consequences of excessive sleep and fatigue
Sleep plays an important role in strengthening memory, maintaining the vitality of the body, and restoring the immune system. The body needs sufficient sleep for it to work systematically. However, on the other hand, excessive sleep is considered to cause serious health problems. Excessive sleep may be a symptom that you present when suffering from a sleeping disorder. You may be presented with the following consequences:
- Feeling irritated
- Difficulty in staying alert
- Difficulty in retaining new memories and concepts
- Slow response
- Difficulty in staying focused
Excessive sleepiness can also have a wide-ranging effect on health as well. The consequences of excessive sleep and fatigue on health can sometimes be dangerous and life-threatening.
- Poor quality of life
- Increased risks or accidents while driving
- Increased risks of fall leading to injuries
- Decreased efficiency and productivity at the workplace
- Mood swings and emotional breakdown
- Problems in social and personal life
- In children may affect the overall development
- Cognitive-behavioural impairment
- Earlier mortality
In many people, excessive sleepiness during the daytime is a sign of an underlying health condition. Visit a doctor and get yourself treated.
Feeling sleepy and tired all day makes it difficult to do something productive. Though taking care of all the causes can’t making efforts to remove them can help you get rid of sleepiness. Well, you might need to consult a doctor in some cases and take medications if required to permanently solve the fatigued issue.